01 December 2006

One more blog for the road...

Hello my Friends,

I realize that it’s been an eternity since I’ve last blogged. To be perfectly honest, I’ve been swamped with so much to do that I haven’t even had time to go to the internet café. Last night was one of my favorite times all semester - I cooked for my family, we hung out, and I got to give them a scrapbook I made. This week was filled with projects and meetings and tests and all sorts of “end of the semester” type stuff.

Why? You ask. Yes, I do have two more weeks. But on Sunday, we leave for Guatemala. We’ll be there for ten days and then we’ll be spending the last three days of the semester in Miami, doing a “re-entry retreat.” Hopefully the experience will be hurricane-free this time!

Looking back, I’d say it was a good semester. Yesterday someone asked me that if I was given the opportunity to repeat this semester, would I do it? The truth is, this semester was great for the culture experience, for the friendships gained, for the family gained. But I’m not sure I would do the rest of the experience. I ended up having some struggles along the way these past few weeks in reference to differing opinions and frustrations with grading.

So, if it were everything but the way class is conducted, I would do it again. I would do the language school, the trips, the host families, and all of that. I wouldn’t do class where I’m left trying to form my own opinions and feel like I’m drowning or forced to believe (or say) something I don’t believe.

But, I would do the rest again. And I won’t look back negatively on this experience. My host family was such a huge blessing.

In other news, I went to the beach last weekend. Go here for pictures. There are also pictures of “Flat Stanley,” which some of you might understand what that’s all about. If not, you can always ask me later. Oh, and my Thanksgiving pictures are on there too. It was a beautiful (and tasty!) turkey.

Blessings to you all. Until Guatemala, or Miami, or Iowa (or whenever I get to the internet).

Jehovah Jaira

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm glad you had a good semester. Love you!