28 March 2006

Assess This!

Assessment day was today. Sophomores rejoiced because they had basically nothing they had to do. I, on the other hand, got the short end of the stick.

Dordt chose half of the juniors to participate in assessment. This is the 4th time in my college career I've had to do the general assessment (math that one out!)

Let me line out my assessed day for you:
9:00 Am - go to Spanish department, participate in 10-minute oral proficiency interview with Spanish professor, attempting to convince her that higher education is good, especially at my college. Then trying to convince her to take back the shoes I just bought and give me a refund.
9:30 am - proceed to the massive classrom, C255. Squeeze into tiny desk, be surrounded by Calvin, Beth, Ninny, Jon, Julia, Becca, and more. Be handed a very Iowa Test of Basic Skills-like test. Take 2 60-minute tests, full of rudimentary algebra, annoying reading comprehension questions, and horribly written sentences. Between tests, try to complete crossword puzzles (4, to be exact) between Nate, Calvin, Jon, and me. Switch them up. Feel smarter by doing crossword than the actual test.
11:30 am Finish testing for the morning. Do Greek homework, eat lunch.
1:00pm - Proceed to the Spanish classroom. Take an listening comprehension test, identical to the one I took the year before. After which, take a 75 question, multiple choice test in Spanish covering grammar and reading comprehension. Use only 20 minutes of the allotted 60 to take the test.

2:30 pm Finish being assessed.

Prior to assessment day: The Spanish department politely demanding that all of its majors do the following: 1. Write one (1) 1-2 page essay in Spanish on why you're studying Spanish and if you think you chose the right language (why didn't you tell me you'd assess me like this?) 2. In addition to the standardized test on the actual assessment day, take an online proficiency test that you have taken at least four times before.

So, I had a lot to do today. More so than a normal Tuesday. I am officially assesesed. Let me just say to Dordt:

Assess This!

2 comments:

Wesley said...

i had the same topic for the oral assessment where you have to tell how good your college is...i hated it.

Nikki said...

I didn't even know what I would say in English, much less what to say in Spanish!!