24 March 2006

For Justine

Justine asked today if anyone ever just felt like venting, even if there was nothing in particular to vent about. So, Justine, the answer is yes, and this one's for you:

While I love being back at Dordt, I can't seem to get myself to study. Maybe because it feels like I've been doing ridiculously annoying homework. For one class, we had a test on material we never covered in class (eek). And in another, we're starting a secion on gender issues. A topic I hate to talk/debate (whatever it turns into). And I'm feeling like my Greek skills are going all down hill and it really is "all Greek to me" lately.

Could we just slow down the good parts of the day? I love the times I've been spending with my dear, dear friends as of late. There's an excitement in the air that seems to be a combination of old and new: reminiscence and a high from spring break and also an air of excitement that the end now seems in sight and just possible achievable (after all of the mass projects).

And, to end with another vent/rant. I'm sick of the Dordt/CRC mentality that you must be married. No matter where I go, there's always the feel of marriage in the air. People are getting married left and right. Getting engaged. "hookin up" over spring break (that happens a lot!). So, I've decided to give in. I'm marrying Trevor, dating Jon, and dating Mason. I'm marrying Trevor so he can win a bet (with me!) and I can satisfy onlookers. I'm takin Jon and Mason to all important events from now on. They're going to alternate events and play mock boyfriends from now on.

I guess I can say that I'm really thankful for the friends that I have that I can laugh with and joke with and also know will really be there for me when I need it (like a fake date!). In about two weeks, it will be a year since I dislocated my knee. I think back and see so many people that helped me out in that crazy month at the end of the year, packed with projects and the Jubilee tour. So, no, I won't be dislocating any time soon if I can help it. But there is talk about a modified version of Red Rover with crutches, if we can pull it off. If not, I'm just going to have a lot of people over for the fun of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicki Sue, while the mock dating is a great idea, it could have some unintended consequences. But I'll be your maid of honor for when you finally marry Trevor. :P

Nikki said...

I hope you (and by you, I mean every reader) realize that the mock dating is just talk and joke - it won't ever actually happen...but it's fun to laugh about.

Justine Teresa said...

mmmm....yay for venting!

me said...

hey sister

i've been thinking about you today. we are really excited for your upcoming visit! we even have a bonus free white t-shirt that jack accidentally took for you! oh yay how exciting! but seriously i am excited to have you hang out with us here. let me know what you are interested in doing while you're here. i bought monster by frank peretti with the amazon e-gift card you gave me. thanks!

Andrea said...

That's about when I like to prove people wrong....when they think you should be dating.

Anonymous said...

No problem, Nikki.