12 August 2006

a weird state of mind

I'm leaving in 2 1/2 weeks for Costa Rica. I'll be there for 16 weeks, basically. 10 days in Nicaragua, 10 days in Guatemala, a few days in Miami, maybe a trip to Panama, lots of host family time, classes, language, culture.

I'm doing what? It seems like I've barely finished with camp. I've been home, unpacking, re-orienting to home life, enjoying the change of pace. But now it's real. Now I've met with my friend who went last semester, and suddenly she's giving me concrete advice "do this, don't do this.." type stuff. I'm leaving! Hooray! Oh no! Right now I feel like there's a clash of sheer excitement and sheer anxiety running through my system. And I can't help but feel like it's going to be like that until I actually leave and get there.

So there you have it, my brain in a nutshell for the moment. I'm thankful for lunch dates and well-timed work projects to keep me occupied.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Yeah for surviving camp.
I hope your time in Costa Rica is fantastic!
Right now I'm glad about the Spanish I do know and with I knew more, because Sunnyside has a lot of Spanish-speakers. And because I don't like being confused when I'm on the Spanish side of the grocery store aisle label signs.