17 January 2006

Camp. Camp?? Camp!!

Let me begin this saga at the very beginning. No, not at birth. Try about a week ago.

About a week ago, I realized that I would like to do something "worthwhile" with my summer - something that may be misssions related. This can be quite a dilemma, since many of these things do not pay or actually require me to pay them money. Problem. Nikki needs money for that Dordt place.

So, thinking it through, thinking about experiences friends have had, I start to think about camp. Camp, I think would work. Camp.

Then, yesterday, I see an announcement in the TODAY. All of the big RCA camps will be on campus interviewing "tomorrow" (now today). I freak out. Like I have time at all to interview. I'm not prepared for interviews! The thought has barely entered my head, much less become what I want to do. Camp?? No, I think. God is telling me no, obviously, since I wouldn't have any sort of time to interview.

Today, I share my feelings with my dad. Say, I'd love to interview, but it's just not possible. I have no time in my schedule. Busy from 8:00am to 5:15pm. He replies: If it's something you need to do, then you need to interview, you need to make it happen, and you have to make choices. So, then, he says, what can you cancel?

Nothing, I reply, dejected. I think I want to do it, but I can't cancel anything to squeeze in interviews.

Next thing I know, I'm filling out an application, thinking about who to give references to, and begging for the interviewers to squeeze me in for an interview. Sure, the first says, I'll take you right now. I pray Sarah will forgive me for pushing our meeting back and say "okay." Next thing I know, I'm promising to call him to finish the interview and he's setting me up with two other interviews. Instead of sitting in the library for ASK Center work, I find myself interviewing for camps.

So, Camp!! I'm warming up to the idea. A lot. I interviewed for 3 camps (Iowa, Michigan, Illinois) and I can't wait to hear back, even if I have to wait until mid February.

So, the saga of the question of Camp. To do or not? Interviews over, we'll see if I actually get any offers.

No comments: