07 January 2006

Back to the Midwest...

Well, I'm finally back home in the good 'ol Midwest and no longer on the East Coast. Sigh. I'm actually quite glad to be home.

It was quite a stretching type week for me. I learned the I do not want to go overseas to be a missionary. I might be an at-home missionary, local missionary...that's still an option...but I don't want to go overseas. I learned that there are such a diverse amount of views in the Christian faith...I met people of the Mennonite, Anabaptist, Moravian, and Pentecostal faiths. I was surprised to learn that we reformed believers were in the minority.

But, a learning week. Met a bunch of people from all over - Redeemer (Canada), Ethiopia, Tanzania, Mexico, Nicaragua, Myanmar...

And, I went swimming in the Long Island Sound. In probably 35 degree weather. The water was cold. Quite cold. And we ran in twice. It was a great time. Pictures may be forthcoming, but I don't have many yet, since I let Anna take most of them, so I'll be getting them from her.

I should tell you a little story, though, about the worst travel day ever. After a New Year's Eve party, Sarah and I stayed up and left the house at 2:30, armed with coffee and prayers we would stay awake. We did and arrived in the Omaha airport at about 5am. We checked in and hopped a 6:30 am flight to Detroit. When we arrived in Detroit, Anna met us and informed us that our flight from Detroit to New York/La Guardia had been canceled.

So, we made our phone calls, told the necessary parents and professors, and we went and haggled with Northwest. We ended up being rerouted to Indianapolis and then to LaGuardia. Instead of landing in LGA around noon, we didn't arrive until 6pm. So, you say, not the end of the world. Numerous people have experienced flight days like that. Insert 2 college girls on no sleep except for naps on a plane, weird eating schedule, sick feelings for 2 of the three girls, and the 3rd girl running on 1 1/2 hours of sleep. We were dead on our feet. Barely dragged ourselves into the McDonald's in Detroit so we weren't so sick feeling.

So, crazy travel day. Yesterday was much better, pretty much went the way it was supposed to.

That's all I've got for today.

No comments: